Here are 7 things you probably didn’t know about the bike world, and bikes worldwide:
1. In the Netherlands, there are more bikes (18 million) than people (16 million).
2. There are over half a billion bikes in China alone.
3. There are approximately twice as many bikes in the world as there are cars.
4. Wal-Mart sells over 50% of all the bikes sold in the United States every year.
5. About 100 million bikes are manufactured each year around the world. About 99% of all the bicycles sold are imported from either China or Taiwan.
6. 7 out of 8 people in Denmark own a bike.
7. From 1990 to 2009, the number of bike trips in the U.S. grew from 1.8 billion to over 4 billion trips per year.