Living Streets Alliance has set a goal to bring two new routes to the Tucson community in 2016. We are excited to expand participation by working closely with new neighborhoods in new parts of the city to create these new routes. Without further ado, we are so excited to share with you the Lost Barrio to Himmel Park route:
Plans for activities along this new route are in full swing; there will be so many surprises to delight you. This is just a taste of the fun activities neighbors and residents along the route are working to bring to the event:
- Earth Day Festival will move from its long-time home at Reid Park to join us in Himmel Park,
- the Sam Hughes Neighborhood is planning a walking Garden Tour and Beer Garden fundraiser at the historic water tower site,
- Rincon Heights Neighborhood will feature live music, water-harvesting demonstrations and a native plant sale
- Miles Exploratory Learning Center will showcase student musical talent, and
- El Grupo Youth Cycling will host mountain bike and BMX bike skills clinics at the Barrio Trails BMX park
It’s never too early to think about volunteering, hosting an activity, or becoming a sponsor. There are tons of opportunities to get involved and we are happy to answer your questions about participating.
Don’t worry — we LOVE the South Tucson route and plan to be back there next year. We want to thank the communities that have hosted this event in the past and honor the incredible amount of hard work that goes into organizing activities and mobilizing communities to participate. After a well-deserved break, we’ll be back in South Tucson with bigger plans for more fun in 2017!
This story was originally published by the Living Streets Alliance